This is how the booth looked before the new display.
For those of you are unfamiliar with participating in shows whether it is taking your crafts to Art shows, setting up at a Flee market or other business venture where you buy a booth space, display area is critical. The organizer will only give you so much space, standard is 8 X 8 foot or 10 X 10 foot. The trick is cramming everything you have into that small space while trying not to make it look crowded or cluttered. The space needs to lend itself to excellent eye appeal, to attract the optimum amount of traffic.
Our booth in 2011 used two 4 x 2 foot tables set up in a 'L' configuration. This was 16 sq foot of flat space, by adding the slanted display I increased the same space of 16 sq. foot to 18 sq. ft., so I gained approximately 2 sq. foot of space. Plus I increased the eye appeal and appearance of the booth.
Not only did the slanted space give us more room and added eye appeal, it changed the look of the booth enough so that it did not "look" the same as 2011, that always gets people curious about "who is new" all public events become "gossip" central and the more you can positively affect the outcome of your traffic the better you do. Same is true with internet traffic, same emotional response to stimulus.
BUILDING THE SLANTED AREAI am NOT an engineer so I used my eyes to construct this project. I provided different measurements but these measurement came after the fact not planned in advance.
This is the display with the boxes on it, before I beefed up the boxes, painted the boxes add clips for stability.
MAKING THE BOXESI used boxes that my pint size canning jars were purchased in. They are heavy cardboard but glued together at the corners and will come apart with heavy use. So I added glue and paper to them to make them sturdier. If you are familiar with paper mache that is the method I used to 'add paper' to these boxes with a slight twist; I used wood Mozia Wood glue because I wanted a water proof seal, then spray painted. FAVECRAFT has quite a few paper mache projects if you want to know more about paper mache.
Once I had the boxes done I spray painted them sporadically with green spray paint.
The issue of the boxes being too big for the flat slanted portion became very evident. Remember I said I was using PVC that was already cut and that the platform was turning out smaller than the size of the two boxes put together. The boxes would fall off if I didn't not find a solution to bind them together. Since I did not want one long box on three layers I had to find away to connect the boxes on the slanted platform.
I use 32 mm binder clips to hold the boxes together.
I also needed signage. Some method of adding a price and name to each box. Something that I could take off and store, something that would not be permanently attached. Remember this need to travel in a compact manner.
SOLUTION:Clothes pins and name badges. I clip the clothes pins on the individual boxes and slide the name badge on that snugly, voila removable signage.
Now the entire new display was done and looks like this:
In this picture foreground zucchini, going back are bags of green beans, then collards, the seed packs and dried chili pepper on the hangers. On the slanted area on the first row left to right, sweet onions, collards and radishes. Second row, red onions, and beets. Third row white onions and turnips, on the left of the new display are red new potatoes.